Charitable Receipt Software
The question was simple: does anyone know of a software package to do tax receipts for a small charity, but it got me going. To me, the receipt is only part of the process. There are other questions to consider as well, such as:
- Is a personalized, well worded thank you / request for ongoing support included with each receipt?
- Is the donor given the choice of receiving the receipt right away or at year end?
- Is there a procedure for issuing replacement receipts?
- If the donor gives multiple donations are they summarized on one receipt, ideally with an accompanying remittance summary?
- Is the donor reminded of other outstanding pledges or the balance on his/her multi-year pledge?
- Does the fundraising staff have access to the historical donation information in a searchable way?
- Do the fundraising and accounting systems reconcile (i.e. do they agree on the amount of money raised in each month/year)?
The accounting procedures need to be part of the overall fundraising strategy or you are missing a golden opportunity to build goodwill with your donors.